What is the PS4 NAT Type?
NAT managed your IP address across to the website and your device. The full form of NAT is Network Address Translation. There is not only one PS4 NAT Type. There are different types of NAT types for PS4 and all are works differently.
With using a strict PS4 Nat type, each device shares the same IP address so, it is more difficult to connect more than one device to a service at a time. Must know the IP address is in the number format like 184.108.40.206. When you use a strict PS4 NAT type there is only one IP address that is using entirely the whole network.
When you’re using Open NAT Type is has its own unique IP address for every device. Even if you’re connected as a strict PS4 NAT type, then the connection between your network and the game is seen busy. There is no other member who can able to connect with your network when you’re connected as a strict PS4 NAT Type. If there were disconnect one member from your network then a new one member can join you.
If you’re on the PS4 console and you’re currently using Strict NAT Type or Moderate NAT Type you’ll also have problems connecting to other players and also disconnecting problems. Like the FIFA game restricted on their NAT type.
Types of NAT
There are three types of NAT for the PS4. Here I’m describing all the NAT type and what happened if you’ll use one of them.
Open NAT Type (NAT Type 1)
Open NAT Type is fully opened and when you connected with Open NAT Type it gives you the widest possible range of options. Also, it’s known as NAT Type 1. Open NAT Type offers you the best online gaming experience on PS4. You’ll not face any lag or hanging on your PS4 when using Open NAT Type but it has some security risks to using it.
Moderate NAT Type (NAT Type 2)
Moderate NAT Type (NAT Type 2) is even better than Open NAT Type (NAT Type NAT 1) and Strict NAT Type (NAT Type 3). If you’re currently using Moderate NAT Type (NAT Type 2) you will only be able to connect to other players who have NAT types 2 or 1. With this NAT You may also experience issues with voice communications and slower matchmaking times. This NAT Type is more secure than Open NAT Type (NAT Type 1).
Strict NAT Type (NAT Type 3)
If you’re using Strict NAT Type (NAT Type 3) on your PS4 you can only connect to those players who have using Strict NAT Type (NAT type 1). This means you are likely to have much longer queue times for matchmaking and very limited voice communications options. But in this NAT type, you’re more secured from security risks.
How to Check NAT Type on PS4?
To change NAT Type on your PS4 Go to Settings > Network > Internet Connection Status. Your NAT type should be listed near the bottom of the screen.
How to Change NAT Type on PS4?
To change NAT type read carefully then try to change NAT Type on PS4. If you don’t know how to change NAT Type on PS4, please don’t try without help. If you do anything wrong when changing NAT Type your there will be generated another error code.
To change NAT Type follow the below instructions:
- First, open the browser on your pc.
- Now, you need to access your router. Put the default IP address of the router to get access to router settings. If you don’t know how to check the default gateway of the router, press window key + R and type cmd and hit enter. The write ipconfig and hit enter.
- Type there username and password of the router. If previously you’ve changed the password enter them or if you’re not changed enter the default username and password of the router to log in.
- On your router, you have to find On your router settings, enable UPnP. PnP stands for Universal Plug and Play. It’s a protocol that allows devices on a network to discover each other.
5. Now On changing the NAt type here, we have the two choices.
6. Either putting it to the DMZ and another option is to put ps4 ports to open.
7. I recommended you to choose the second method because the first one is not safe to use.
Forwarding ports for ps4
You need to forward ports to changing NAT Type on PS4.
- Open the router settings.
- Find the setting named as forwarding router in most of the router it is also named as port forwarding.
- Now Add custom forwards ports.
- You need to open up the following ports in both directions TCP & UDP:
The numbers and types (TCP/UDP) of the ports you are going to enter are listed below (all recommended by Sony.
80(TCP), 443(TCP), 3478(TCP and UDP), 3479(TCP and UDP), 3480(TCP)
Note: that you should be given a name assign your PS4 IP address to each of these ports.
5. Apply your changes
Check to see if the NAT Type on your PS4 changes and if your multiplayer gaming experience is better.
Common Questions Asked on PS4 NAT Type
- Which NAT type is best for ps4?
The best NAT Type for PS4 is NAT Type 1 (Open NAT Type) but not good at the point of security.
- How do I change my NAT type to open?
Log in to your router using the router’s username and password. Open the UPnP menu on your router > Enable UPnP and save changes.
- Is NAT Type 2 good ps4?
When you connect to the internet with NAT Type 2 (Moderate NAT Type) of your PS4 and compared with the Open type, you will have a higher lag and slower connection. Some of your PS4 online functions may not be able to work. If you are in NAT Type 3, it is recommended that you change it so that you can increase your PS4 network speed.
- How do I get an open NAT type?
You can open the NAT type via enabling DMZ on your router option.