Before anything comes first you must know what is PS4 IP Address? and how did it works? We’ll know today How to setup a static IP address on PS4. It is not very simple but not so hard to set up a PS4 IP address.
Simply, settings a static IP address for your PS4 console needs to permanently assign an internal IP address to that gaming console. When you use forwarding ports on your router it fixed the IP address. Forwarding ports is a very effective method for certain traffic to your game console, so all the data from certain ports automatically gets sent the games console by the router.
You must assign an internal IP address to your PS4 console because when you forwarded ports. If you do not permanently assign an internal IP address to your PS4 console, you may get a different IP address the next to you turn on your console causing your forwarded ports to stop working. To avoid this you can either assign an IP address in your router for your PS4 or set up a static IP address in your gaming console.
What is a Static IP Address?
IP (Internet Protocol) address is basically a digital address for a device or website. Usually, it consists of four numbers separated by dots. For example, 18.104.22.168.143 is a digital address of a website. It is a unique identifier that tells other people and devices who and where you are connected to the internet.
Every websites and device have their own IP address, which is then mapped to the actual website names using DNS servers. The way IP addresses are administered also means that they can reveal the approximate geographical location of a device. The IP address is grouped into two types. One is internal and another is external. Internal IP address issued by a router to devices within a local network (house or office) and external IP address issued by an ISP (Internet Service Provider). Static IP addresses issued by a router to devices are by default not normally fixed or permanently, they are prone to change from time to time.
You Must Know Before We Go:
- Internal IP Address vs. External IP Address
- Internal IP addresses are allocated by your router and are assigned to devices on your home or office network. Your router uses these internal IP addresses to get the correct data to each device. Internal IP addresses are used only by your router and they are not available to others over the internet.
- External IP addresses are those that are shared with the world over the internet. Your router has an external IP address, allocated by your ISP (Internet Service Provider), which it uses to transfer data between your home/office network and the internet.
- Static Internal vs Dynamic Internal IP Address
- Static Internal IP Address refers to IP addresses that are permanently assigned. The internal IP address of your router is static. Some devices work best with a static IP address.
- Dynamic Internal IP Address is assigned by the router and can change from time to time. This is why they are called dynamic. For example, a laptop using a dynamic internal IP address may have a different internal IP address after power is cycled to the laptop.
Here I’m providing you all the possible methods to Setup PS4 IP Address to Static IP address. If you want these methods are works for you, I recommend you to follow all the steps and instructions below which I’m providing you.
If you’re confused you can watch this video: You’ll know how to setup PS4 IP Address to static IP address.
Method 1: Settings a Static IP on The PS4 Itself
This method is technically not correct but sometimes this method also works and this method is really easy to setup. With this method, you can do this entirely on the PS4 itself.
Follow the below steps for setting a static IP on the PS4 itself:
- Go to Setting > Network > Set Up Internet Connection
- Select WiFi or LAN connection which you’re currently using
- Select Custom setup for LAN
- For IP Address, switch to Manual and input the following values:
- IP Address – 192.168.0.143, where 143 is any number between 100 to 254 (you can choose yourself)
- Subnet Mask – 255.255.255.0
- Default Gateway – 192.168.0.1
- Primary DNS – 22.214.171.124
- Secondary DNS – 126.96.36.199
- Run through the rest of the settings as they are, without changing them.
- Save and test your internet connection to see if you can get back online.
- Alternatively, you can go to Settings > Connection Status before you start, and note down all the above settings with a pen and paper, and then go and reconfigure the connection, entering the details as you noted them, but just changing the last digit of the IP address. Sometimes IP addresses, Subnet Masks and Default Gateways do change depending on where you are in the world.
However, in reality, this is not likely to happen as long as you choose a high number – which is why we suggested picking a number between 100 and 254 – for the simple reason that there tends only to be a maximum of 20 devices on a home network, while there is space for 254 separate devices (the last digit of the IP can be from 1-254).
Try the method 2 if you want to do correctly and have confidence to can apply the vast method.
Method 2: Assigning a Static IP For PS4 Through the Router
This method is the right method to set up the PS4 IP address (Static IP for PS4). It is slightly more long-winded but in reality, it is not actually that difficult to do. It usually just requires logging into your router and customizing a few settings.
In the market, there are so many types of router and every PS4 user they’re using different types of router. I’ll try my best to tell here all the necessary steps for all types of router. On every router have different menus but there are some menus and name are the same so, I’m trying to write here some general steps:
- Make a note of the current IP address and MAC address of your console. In the PS4, these are in the “Internet Connection Status” page of the Internet Settings which is under the “Network” menu.
- Log in to your router. This usually means typing in a specific IP address into a browser address bar; it is often 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.3.143 or maybe something different according to the router company and model. If you don’t know it, it will be on the back of your router somewhere along with the default login username and password.
- Once logged in, go to “Advanced Settings” or something similar.
- Select “LAN Setup/Settings” or something similar.
- Select “Address Reservation“, “DHCP Reservation” or similar. Click “Add” to add a new static IP address.
- Input an IP address you want the console to have. The field is usually filled out as 192.168.0.143 with 143 being the custom number you put in to uniquely identify your console. This can be anything from 1 to 254; it is usually best to pick something in the middle like 100. You can put in the IP your console currently has if you noted it down.
Now, go to the PS4 Dashboard to set the internal IP address to the number you have chosen.
- First, click the Settings > Network > Setup Internet Connection
- Now, choose how you want to connect to the internet. You can Use a LAN Cable or Use Wi-Fi as you wish. Choose one of them which you want to connect.
- Now, Choose Custom
- You are now on the IP Address Settings page. Choose Manual.
- You should now be on a page like the one you see above.
- Highlight the IP Address and click the X button on your controller.
- A black box with a number pad then appears. Enter in the IP address you have chosen to use here.
- Click Done when you are finished.
- Now enter in the Subnet Mask. This is usually 255.255.255.0
- Finally, select Default Gateway and enter the number you wrote down earlier for the gateway (see Step One). This is your router’s internal IP address.
- When you are finished, click the Next button at the bottom of the screen.
- The next screen is the MTU Settings, go ahead and click automatic here.
- For the Proxy Server, click Do Not Use
- A page like the screenshot above should then appear. Go ahead and click Test Internet Connection.
- This test checks your Network, Internet and PS4 connection status. Wait while the test runs.
- When the test is complete and successful you will see a screen like the one you see above.
- You can set up your port forwards to your PS4. For help with port PS4 forwarding, you can check out this article.
This is not necessary to use a static PS4 IP Address. Sometimes the default PS4 IP Address is not working properly. At that time you may need to assign a permanent IP address to your PlayStation 4 in order to get a NAT Type 2 connection. Assigning a permanent IP address to your PlayStation 4 ensures that your console always has the same internal IP address even after it is rebooted.
Click Start Menu > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center or Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > Right-click on Wi-Fi or Local Area Connection (LAN) > Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Properties > enter the IP address which you want to use.
In the networking world, a default gateway is an IP address that traffic gets sent to when it’s bound for a destination outside the current network. On most home and small business networks where you have a single router and several connected devices the router’s private IP address is the default gateway.
Static IP addresses are necessary for devices that need constant access. For example, they’re basically required if your computer is configured as a server, such as an FTP server or web server.
Please read this post from the above. There are all the steps to assign a static IP addresses for PS4.